Julie cheerfully strode to the front of the room and accepted her trophy. She had just won the Toastmaster humorous speech contest. Why? She had a humorous speech and was a funny speaker.

As she sat back down to applause, I reflected on why she won the prize (which she deserved.)
Several thoughts flashed through my mind. Here is the one that stood out.
Julie chose a topic that connected with the audience.
She told several humorous stories about her grandmother. Everyone could relate. Each individual either has a Grandmother living, remembers their Grandmother or knows someone else’s Grandmother.
As Julie made humorous observations, most of us were likely thinking about our Grandmothers and the funny quirks about them. This actually enhanced the laughter.
Could she have talked about an experience on a cruise ship and still won? Sure. However, since only 10% of the audience had likely been on a cruise it would have been difficult to fully connect.
The 10% would have likely laughed a lot more, because they would have understood the experience better. However, the other 90% would be at a disadvantage.
How can we apply this?
= When we are speaking, we should use stories and observations that most of the audience can relate to.
= Keep humor comfortable. If someone is uncomfortable with our humor, we will not be connecting and they will not be laughing.
= If we use an experience that most can’t relate to (cruise ship), bring out the human emotions and experiences that we can all relate to. These include: being embarrassed, trying something new, failing, etc.
If we apply these practical ideas, it will help us be a funny speaker and make the audience laugh. Learn 21 Secrets to More Humorous Presentations.

 

 

Arlen Busenitz

Arlen Busenitz is an experienced speaker with over 650 presentations. He is Author of several books, CD's,and creator of Become a Better Speaker in One Evening™

More Posts - Website

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!